Skip to main content

Which Programming Language To Learn?


Hi. The title of this article is a question which floats in mind of every beginner. I will try to answer it.

Four years ago I wanted to make a career in computer programming. I enrolled in Computer Science. I was asking myself “which language should I learn first?” I opened my browser and searched “Programming languages” in my favorite search engine and I got a long list. I was like just OMG (-feeling shocked), Do I need to learn all these? It will take me ages to master all of them (–feeling scared). Oh boy.




After doing some research on Internet, I decided to choose C++. But why?  Good question. Very good question. Let me summarize my research for you

C++ is considered as a middle level language. Being in the middle of high level and low level I can easily jump either to high level or low level or both. However C++ is a very complex language (owww, this is so scary), so I am advised to learn it with a mentor. It is worthy of note for game geeks that the most beautiful 3D games are often built with C++ because of its scalability (I am impressed).

As a statically typed language, C++ code is type-checked before it is executed. It brings some constraints and strictness making me to struggle more and prepare me for the battle (yyyyeeeaaaahhhh)?

C++ is a popular, very popular I should say and have a large community of developers. Does community size matter? Yes (three times). The larger a programming community is, the more support you’d be likely to get. As you step into programming world, you will soon realize how vital support is, as the developer community is all about giving and receiving help. Join the community and meet with smart people who can really help you.

Virtual reality is flourishing rapidly and it is argued that C++ is a better language to develop VR experience and programs. So C++ has a bright future. C++ programmers are generally well paid all over the world.

 If you don’t agree with me, lemme show you some other ways:
  •      Grab your phone and ask your relatives, friends, buddies, bae or whoever, who is already in this field, to have a cup of tea, coffee, dinner or go for a walk with you. All I want to say is meet with them and discuss programming generally. Ask everything which is in your mind. By everything I really don’t mean everything. When you are done with Q & A session (Let him/her say you “you’re welcome”) come back home and analyze the answers you got. This will take you somewhere where you can choose the language for you to learn.
  •          The other way is to use Internet. Use your favorite search engine and look for some articles which target the same question. You can easily find plenty of them. Each will have a different way of explanation, their own opinions and descriptions from different perspectives. Some compare languages based on its scalability, some on demands in market and salary paid to programmers at the time the article was written. Mostly you will find more opinions and less recommendations.
  •         This way is a kind of stupid way but it works sometimes.Tear a paper sheet from your notebook and cut it into pieces. Write a single programming language name on each piece. Fold them, shake and ask someone to pick only one. Congrats, you are done. Unfold the paper and… (I don’t need to tell you what to do next). 
  •          The fourth way is to simply follow someone’s story. You will find many including From Self-taught Programmer to Self-made Success Stories. You will find many or some of them have no degree or diplomas but still working in good environment as programmers. This is motivating, isn’t it?

Now the choice is up to you. Remember "great things do not come easy". Sometimes you might be just about to quit but don’t start looking for something to blame and keep moving.

We will continue with C++ here. See you next time.





Comments